Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Diabetes and Soups

Here is a question I received recently on FOODPICKER.org. 

I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes last spring.  I enjoy eating hearty soups in the fall and winter months.  Can I still eat soup?  Are there any soups that are better for me to eat than others? 

Answer: Soups are very popular as the months begin to cool off and are an easy way to consume many types of vegetables. So yes, you can still eat soup but, you would want to choose soups with low or no sodium added. Making your own soup is one of the best ways to avoid throwing out older vegetables and decreasing your sodium intake. When making your own soup, use water as the "broth" and use a variety of vegetables, herbs, and spices to enhance the flavor. 

Soups that would be a better choice are one's with the following:
~Low or no sodium broth
~Whole grains (rice or noodles)
~Non starchy vegetables (carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, tomatoes)

No comments:

Post a Comment